Good Morning, Friends!
Ever notice how when you start with a healthy breakfast, you are more inclined to make healthy choices throughout the rest of the day? It’s true! Make sure to start your healthy week off on the right foot with a nutritious breakfast. And to nudge you in the right direction, I have a great recipe for you this morning — perfect for on-the-go breakfasts, snacks or crumbled into oatmeal or yogurt for a larger meal — Heart Healthy Banana Bread (or muffins!)
- 2 ½ cups of your favorite heart-healthy cereal (i.e. Cheerios, Kashi Heart to Heart, etc.) crushed
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup organic sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk (or soy milk)
- 2 egg whites (or equivalent egg substitute)
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
First preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Next, combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the bananas and remaining ingredients. Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Spoon batter into greased loaf pan or muffin tins.
Bake until inserted toothpick comes out clean. About 20 minutes for muffins, 40 minutes for a loaf.. Let cool and serve warm or at room temperature.
Fun plates are always a nice touch
Feel free to add some yummy mix-ins! Chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, raisins and walnuts would all work well! And of course this would be quite delish spread with a good helping of PB!
What are your favorite muffin/bread mix-ins?