Make it- An ‘Egg’cellent baked sweet potato

Categories:

Make It

The following recipe will change your life. It will also cause you to exclaim, “why didn’t I think of this before?!”

Behold: An ‘Egg’cellent Baked Sweet Potato

Perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just ‘cuz ;)

You’ll need:

First, bake your sweet potato. Here’s a simple method I use: pierce the sweet potato several times with a fork. Microwave for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to the oven and bake about 10-15 minutes.

Your potato is now soft on the inside. Cut it in half and scoop out some of the sweet potato on each half, forming a tiny bowl. Now break for a bit and enjoy a little snack with the scooped out potato flesh! I like drizzling mine with ketchup ;)

Drop a bit of buttah into each hole and cover with a cracked egg.

Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.

Season with salt and pepper. Attack and enjoy the sweet, eggy, carby goodness.

ENJOY!

If you don’t like sweet potatoes, this recipe is just as yummy with a good ‘ol Idaho!

You’re welcome.

46 Responses to “Make it- An ‘Egg’cellent baked sweet potato”

1. katherine says:

This recipe might have changed my life. Seriously. And I thought my husband’s omelet this morning was tasty. This is on another level entirely!!

2. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by The Daily Balance. The Daily Balance said: Published a new post: Daily Delish- An 'Egg'cellent baked sweet potato @http://tinyurl.com/yevffqy [...]

3. OHMIGOSH. That just looks incredible. My hubby would LOVE this.

4. Jenny says:

Ah! That looks like soo much fun :) And with two of my all-time favorite ingredients!

5. Kim says:

Wow. This looks awesome. I can’t wait to run home to see if I have a potato!

6. Lin says:

ooo what a great way to cook sweet potatoes! i always bake mine but never thought of microwaving them first!

7. Brilliant! Yes, why didn’t I think of that?!!!

8. allijag says:

You, my dear – are unbelievably brilliant! LOVE this idea!

9. Sagan says:

Fantastic! That’s such a good idea. I can’t wait to try this! Such a good option if we don’t want to eat bread or if we run OUT of bread.

I can’t wait to make this.

10. yup, thats breakfast tomorrow!

11. Holy. Crap. That looks AMAZING!!!!

12. Tyler says:

Awesome!! I love this idea!

13. Um yeah, why didn’t I think of that??? Yum! And how simple! perfect weeknight supper. Thank you!

14. mmmmm, that sounds really good! I’m assuming just bake a little longer if you like your eggs a little more solid? YUM!

15. Jordan says:

YUMMM! The other day I sauteed some mushrooms/onion/spinach and placed in a mini baking dish with 2 eggs on top like this and it came out delish- I LOVE the little nook carved out for the eggs. Must try soon!

16. Mmm, a little leftover corned beef on the side and this becomes a new take on one of my favorites: corned beef hash with fried eggs on top.

17. cara says:

wow that looks absolutely amazing. I have never even thought of anything like that.

18. Judy says:

Have you ever tried sweet potato fries…they are so yummy. This definitely looks delicious!

19. Thanks for visiting my blog. I love yours! You have so much personality and it really comes through. I can’t wait to explore the site more! Keep it up!

20. Hilary says:

Sweet potatoes are my fave food EVER! This looks interesting. Definitely bookmarking it.

21. oh. my. goodness.
    BRILLIANT!!!!

22. Susan says:

OMG two of my loves! You are now a personal hero of mine girl ; )

23. Jordan says:

Me again! Made this this morning for D and he was swooooning! I used some bacon fat instead of butter and he was in heaven- I think your recipe gets me an extra special date night this weekend ;)

24. Jessica says:

I made this over the weekend for breakfast! It was delicious!

25. Jessica says:

The salmon looks delicious! I’m glad that the warm weather is here for more grilling fun!

26. [...] less than lovely ‘Egg’cellent Baked Sweet Potato. It just doesn’t quite measure up to its goo-rific role [...]

27. [...] As mentioned earlier, dinner was a recipe from Shannon at The Daily Balance! [...]

28. [...] An ‘Egg’cellent baked sweet potato [...]

29. Daddio says:

This is a good idea but you will wind up with a hard egg and an undercooked potato.

I would cook the potato in the oven at 425 for 1 hour and 15 minutes. This will caramelize the sugars in the potato. Then I would mash in some butter in the split potato and place a poached egg in a scooped-out well. Poach the egg for 3 and 1/2 minutes.

Try it this way for perfection.

30. VeggieGirl says:

YUM! This sounds great :)

31. I’m not a huge breakfast person, but I am a huge sweet potato person. This may be life changing!

32. Ioana says:

Hi, awesome recipe! I try to use the microwave as little as possible as it supposedly kills vitamins. I would suspect that u can skip that step and put it stright in the oven? Thank you

33. Dana says:

I just happen to have the ingredients and am going to make it right now! I may add some kale bits on top?

34. Mette K says:

Nice! This is going in my menu for this week!
    Save the scooped-out sweet potato for muffins, sweet or savory. You can use the universal muffin recipe from the Tightwad Gazette: http://lessisenough.wordpress.com/2010/03/03/recipe-week-seven/

35. Ama says:

will surely try this

36. Robert says:

Just microwave for about 5 minutes, no need for the oven

37. [...] Click here to get the full recipe. [...]

38. [...] this recipe on The Daily Balance. I love sweet potatoes, and I LOVE breakfast…pretty much the best of both [...]

39. Hannah says:

I’m a little disappointed. My sweet potato was undercooked after the recommended 15 minutes, and my eggs were hard after 30 minutes of baking. The eggs were also a bit chewy. Meh. I bet if it had come out like your picture, it would have tasted much, much better.

40. [...] Egg Baked Sweet Potato from The Daily Balance. This recipe is delicious and one of my favourites, when it is timed well and you get a runny egg yolk inside of your baked sweet potato, that is just plain bliss! [...]