Make it – How to make SUSHI (just 5 steps!)

Categories:

Make It

For as often as I eat sushi, I’ve always been pretty intimidated to attempt making it myself. Well ever since the Mister and I made our Lent commitment, my sushi-tooth has been in full-force! But instead of throwing in the towel, I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to MAKE MY OWN! So I enlisted my friend Jenn (I wasn’t about to go down alone!), and we got to work.

Our materials:

Smoked salmon
Cooked lobster – we’re allowed to cheat and use non-raw fish – we’re newbies!
AVOCADO
Broccoli slaw
Cream cheese
Brown rice (I had some in the cupboard from the folks at Annie Chun’s)
Seaweed/Nori paper

We discussed our process/approach and got to work!

STEP ONE:

Lay Nori sheet on bamboo may (I got this bamboo mat for $00.99 at my local grocery store

STEP TWO:

Spread your favorite rice on top of the Nori sheet (make sure you let it cool)

STEP THREE:

Start layering your ingredients of choice in a row, one inch away from the edge

STEP FOUR:

Use the Bamboo mat to roll the sushi. You can use your thumbs to roll the mat, and your fingers to keep the ingredients in place. Make sure to press on the bamboo mat to wrap tightly, otherwise it will fall apart. See this web site for detailed instruction and a video tutorial.

STEP FIVE: Let the roll sit for one minute (this will soften the Nori sheet a bit) or chill in the fridge. Cut with a sharp knife. ENJOY!

OK – so it might not be the prettiest sushi you’ve ever seen, but I am SO PROUD of our creations! Plus, we had a ton of fun (and many laughs!) making them ourselves. I think these would look a lot prettier if we used the standard white sushi rice, but the rice we used was delicious AND healthy.

Have you made sushi before? What are you waiting for?! If I can make it, I ASSURE you that you can, too ;)

29 Responses to “Make it – How to make SUSHI (just 5 steps!)”

1. shelly says:

I have always wanted to try making it. Your steps sound pretty straight forward… I may have to attempt it.

2. i love making sushi! so fun and easy to make, and so so so tasty! but i’ve never put raw fish it it — just lobster, crab meat, and shrimp. i think i’ll stick to having raw fish at restaurants haha.

3. Wow! That is so beautiful and professional looking! I’d love to give that a try.

4. Good work! I’ve always been too intimidated to try it! Probably bc I see how fast their hands move when making it in front of you at a restaurant! Looks yummy, though!

5. retrokali says:

Thanks for this! I have always wanted to make sushi, yours looks so good.

6. Gabriela says:

Thanks for the how to! I’ve always been intimidated when it comes to making sushi, but with your step by step photos, it’s clearly not as scary as it seems! Have a great Monday!

7. CaSaundra says:

We don’t have any sushi places in the area, and I have only had it once and loved it so I’ve been dying to make my own! Yours turned out fabulous!! I must try it soon :-)

8. Shannon says:

I love making sushi! Its fun to make food you can use your hands to create!

9. look delicious! i’ve always wanted to try to make my own as well. you very well may have inspired me.

10. Jenn says:

So proud of us, Shannon! We made delicious sushi and didn’t suffer from food poisoning in anyway! Let’s have another sushi making date soon!

11. Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by thedailybalance: Published new post: How to make SUSHI (just 5 steps!) http://bit.ly/c59geb

12. Just yesterday I was talking to my future SIL about how cool it would be to make our own sushi. I think we might have to actually try it now!

Also, your rools look great!

13. Oh YUM!! Go you! I’ve always wanted to make my own but it seems so intimidating… I may have to try it now!

14. That looks like so much fun! I want to try itttt!

15. K says:

I’ve never made sushi but it looks doable! What a great meal – it’s only the taste that counts (plus I think it looks great)!

16. Lauren says:

That’s so awesome, and you made it look super easy. I might just be trying this one day in the near future.

17. I love making my own sushi! I make super veggie rolls too, when I can’t find some decent fish =)

18. wow, i’m impressed! i love sushi, and nate and i have been talking about trying to make our own/have a sushi party. now i think we might actually do it!

19. emily says:

omgosh!! it looks soo good….you have inspired me to try this…even though im still nervous! haha thanks for the step by step!

20. How fun. I’ve never made sushi but always want to try.

21. Sagan says:

That looks gorgeous! I tried making sushi once and while it was a ton of fun, it was also a disaster. Didn’t have sushi rice, then we forgot the sugar… there were a whole bunch of problems. It was hilarious and silly. Looks as though your experience turned out much better, hehe.

22. I’ve never made it, but you’ve made it look so easy! Maybe I’ll give it a try this weekend!

23. [...] Contact Me « Make it – How to make SUSHI (just 5 steps!) [...]

24. Kendel says:

I was just eyeballing the Nori sheets at the grocery store. It must have been cross-Atlantic vibes. After reading this post, I’m certainly making sushi this week! Thanks for making it so easy!

25. I LOVE homemade sushi. So tasty :)

26. Jenny says:

Okay, your sushi totally looks more delicious than anything I’d get in a restaurant! And I love the ingredients! Nice job :)

27. I loooooove making sushi at home. Another way to make it – put saran wrap on your bamboo mat, put your rice on you nori, and then flip it over so that you have the rice side down. It rolls just as easily and looks awesome! Through trial and error, I’ve found that if you wrap the saran wrap right around both sides of the bamboo it keeps it clean and it doesn’t move around on you then.

28. I’m pretty impressed with your sushi, myself. I may have to try that.

29. [...] it’s losing in front of a public audience at the great steak challenge or attempting to make my own sushi, I’m not afraid to try anything [...]