Make it – Homemade scones

Categories:

Make It

Good morning!

Well, after deciding to make THE BEST OF IT last Friday, I utilized the time I had originally scheduled for surgery to… BAKE! The Mister had been nagging enthusiastically texting me to make some healthy scones after I shared a recipe with him earlier in the week. (Note to self: in the future, do not share a delicious looking recipe with the Mister unless you are prepared to start cooking on the spot — he will ask you for the goods at least once an hour ;) )

I made a few minor substitutions for the recipe such as:

Using Splenda’s brown sugar blend

Using Smart Balance butter made with olive oil — this DRAMATICALLY reduced the overall saturated fat

Using raspberries instead of cranberries (what grocery store doesn’t have frozen cranberries?! – ah, yes, the crappy one I stopped at in a hurry)

After mixing the dough together I spread it out on parchment paper so that I could cut triangular shapes (like a pie piece)

Yummy dough

Yummy dough

After 16 minutes in the oven, the scones were delightfully crunchy on the outside and deliciously doughy on the inside — just the way I like ‘em!

Scone mountain

Scone mountain

Pretty scone

Pretty scone

Raspberry goodness

Raspberry goodness

These were AMAZING! I’ve already started thinking of different flavor combinations! Cinnamon/raisin, banana/walnut, blueberry/lemon…PUMPKIN! I can’t wait to experiment! If I made this flavor combination again, I think I would stick to whole pecans. I loved the crunch of the pecans, but I think I’d prefer larger chunks.

Nutritional info (per scone):

The Mister and I enjoyed these scones with strawberry jam and a big glass of milk!

What is your favorite scone flavor?

12 Responses to “Make it – Homemade scones”

1. Erin says:

On yum I love scones! Central Market has really good jalapeno & corn scones that I would like to try to recreate.

2. AnnQ says:

OMG – I love, LOVE Scones! My favorites are either cranberry or raisin (unfortunately, I really like them with some butter, too!). :-)

3. Sagan says:

Those look delicious! I made some just a few days ago. I usually make mine plain and smear them with butter and jam :) But I also love a good cheese scone.

4. Elizabeth says:

OMG! Those look divine! I love scones, but never thought to try making them. Thanks for the idea!!

5. Mandy A says:

Oh yummy!!!!!! These look GREAT! Thanks so much!

6. K says:

I LOVE scones! Panera’s cinnamon scones used to be my obsession ;) Funny scone story: When I first decided to bake my own scones I found a recipe, baked it up, took a bite – EW! I didn’t realize that I used a British recipe and their scones aren’t sweet, oops!

7. allijag says:

YUM! those look amazing – i love the raspberry substitution!

8. I would I would have had this recipe when I made scones last month for some relatives that were visiting. I used tons of butter and sugar and they didn’t even taste as good as these look!

9. Jenny says:

scone mountain — can i live there please?!

10. I love scones!! I need to get around to making my own :)

11. Those scones look DELISH! I’ve never made my own before. I am going to have to try these soon :)

12. Elina says:

I’m saving this scone recipe. I LOVE scones. Yum :)